June 15, 2011
May 3, 2011
Much thanks to everyone who helped make this semester’s fundraiser a huge success! From those who donated books, and those who harassed their friends and relations for book donations, to setting up, taking down, sorting, pricing, more sorting, etc… We couldn’t have done it without you! Funds raised will help GSEA continue to support English graduate students at MSU through professional development opportunities and social activities. We raised over $500!
March 2, 2011
Anyone who’s planning on presenting at the MSU Graduate Research Conference, don’t forget that applications are due this Friday, March 4! The conference is April 11-12 (easy to remember – my birthday’s the 14th). This is a fantastic opportunity to add a conference presentation to your CV, as well as gain valuable experience if you plan on presenting at other conferences in the future. Applications and additional information are available at http://grad.mnsu.edu/research/grc/
February 16, 2011
The English marketing department has decided to try and recruit some new English majors, so we’ll be hosting an event or two this spring to help them. The first event will be held on Wednesday, February 23rd at 1pm in Armstrong 208 during our coffee hour. There will be five panelists representing each of the five tracks, and then any other graduate students are welcome to join in during the Q&A portion of the event. The more English majors we have, the better, so let us know if you have any good ideas for future events!
February 2, 2011
GSEA Meeting Notes 2/2/2010
Attendees: Dana, Stacey, Lisa, Heather, Paul D., Seth W., Sara Johnson, Joe, Paula, Jessica
Start Time: 1:45pm
Orders of Business
1. Committee Development
a. English Committee Marketing Development
2. GSEA Elections
a. Chris McCarthy = President
b. Jessica Selleck = Vice President
c. Seth W. = Treasurer
d. Joe = Secretary
e. Jonathan = IT Person
f. Everyone all in favor of elections
i. Everyone needs to attend coffee hour and meet with current
3. Orientation for graduate students in the Fall
a. Brainstorm with new MFA and MA students
i. What is a committee? What is a chairperson?
b. Panel for inquiry
i. Speak with John about orientating new grad students
1. When should we do it? What will we cover?
4. Mock Panel
a. John Banschbach and Heather camp
b. People need to come to the panel
i. Joe, Sarah Johnson, Chris?,
5. Book Sale
a. Main hallway of CSU – mid April (Dana will speak with Chris about setting it up)
6. Graduation Application
a. February 18th – must be signed so do ASAP
7. Treats for next meeting
Meeting adjourned: 1:56
January 21, 2011
GSEA Meeting Notes
Date: January 19, 2011 (1:00-1:30ish)
Attendees: Lisa, Stacey, Paula, Sam, Heather, Connor, Sarah J., Seth, Jillian, Dana, Paul, Candice
1) Elections for GSEA officers are approaching – Dana handed out position descriptions and discussed the following:
– We are here to serve the student body
– The GSEA is designed to be of service to the English department
– We are a point of contact for other grad students
2) Mock Conference
– A mock conference will be held on Wednesday, March 16th at 2:00pm (directly following the weekly coffee hour).
– If you are interested in presenting at MSU’s GRC conference in April 11th -12th, the mock presentation will give you opportunity to practice and receive feedback.
– We hope to ask Dr. Banschbach, Dr. Bunkers, and Dr. Camp to sit in on the presentations and provide feedback.
– Dana will send out emails
January 20, 2011
The GSEA is happy to announce that we will be holding elections on Feb 2 during our Coffee Hour from 1-2p in AH208. The positions that are up for election are: President, Co-President, Secretary, Treasurer and IT Administrator. The term of office for each position is May 2011-May 2012.
Once elected, the new officers will spend the last few months of this semester shadowing the person who currently hold the position in order to learn the ins-and-outs of their job.
Do not hesitate to email any of the officers with any questions about their positions or the GSEA in general.
All the best to you!
Dana and Stacey
January 12, 2011
GSEA’s weekly coffee hour returns tomorrow!
(There will be coffee. There may be cookies. Ok, there will be cookies.)
GSEA Meeting: November 17, 2010
Meeting Notes Recorded By: Heather Ayers (Treasurer)
Officers Present: Dana Bruhn, Stacey Amo, Heather Ayers, Lisa Lamor.
- Next semester, coffee hour will be Wednesdays at 1:00 and will last approximately one hour. Business meetings will be held the last half hour of every other week.
Update: Arrangements were made with Kate Voight. Room AH208 is reserved from 12-2:50 each Wednesday.
- End of semester party will be held at the WowZone Sunday, December 6th at 7pm. Paul Dobratz is making the arrangements.
- No coffee hour the week of Thanksgiving (November 24th)
- Lisa Lamor is “mapping the drive”.